Mould and Moisture Test & Assessments Sydney
JMB Environmental Consulting Pty Ltd is ready to shed light and aid in the crucial, yet often overlooked, sector that is mould and moisture.
Our experienced and constantly evolving team provides comprehensive mould and moisture assessments, investigations, and verifications on a wide array of indoor environments ranging from large scale building complexes to residential properties. We are there every step of the way, from the initial testing and moisture investigation to the final clearance following remediation.
We offer the following services:
- Mould and Moisture Assessments and Investigations
- Post Remediation Verifications
- Live Airborne Mould Ecology Monitoring in sensitive areas like hospitals and laboratories
- Mould Removal Control Programs
…It really doesn’t take much, as with a little bit of nutrients, for example dust, and moisture, from humid climates or water events, can quickly germinate hundreds if not thousands of spores that will further develop and engulf all nearby materials. Mould spores can also become airborne and/or release mVOC’s (microbial volatile organic compounds) which if exposed to, can be harmful to human health, particularly those with pre-existing respiratory related health conditions and those that are immune compromised. Mould is known to cause symptoms like breathing difficulties, nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing and respiratory tract infections just to name a few.
By utilizing a combination of science, technology, and innovation to collect data and samples in order to assess HVAC systems, the moisture of materials, possible water ingress sources and surface and airborne mould ecology via analysis in accredited laboratories. This is conducted on the initial investigation and again following remediation to ensure all mould contamination has been adequately treated and removed.
The outcome is identifying and possibly reducing the long-term damage from mould and moisture issues and/or offering recommendations in order to remediate buildings and homes. Also verifying that they are remediated to a safe standard. This ultimately allows people to be in a safe workplace and return to a healthy home.
Some frequently encountered issues we have helped our clients identify and resolve within workplaces and homes are:
- Flood events
- Storm damage events
- Burst water pipes and leaks
- Condensation and humidity issues
- Mould affected building materials
- Mould affected contents
- Surface and airborne mould ecology
The most common signs of mould in the typical household are:
- Damp or musky smells
- White or black spots on fabrics like clothing, furniture or carpet
- Staining and/or water damage to building materials like plaster, brick or timber
There are over 100,000 mould species throughout nature and possibly your home but only a select few are a concern.
The key to preventing mould growth at your home is to prevent materials from becoming damp or saturated, limit the amount of water vapour released inside the building and reduce general dust and first on surfaces. It is vital that good ventilation is maintained to prevent stagnant dead-air spaces or excessive humidity.
Some moulds that are harmful to humans at home and in the workplace can be categorised broadly into three different groups; Allergenic, Pathogenic and Toxigenic.
- Allergenic moulds affect people who have certain allergies. People exposed to these moulds who suffer from allergies may experience a hypersensitive reaction to them, resulting in an acute inflammatory response from the body’s respiratory system
- Pathogenic moulds can cause certain infections or diseases. These moulds mostly cause health problems to people with compromised or weakened immune systems (such as infants, elderly, cancer patients, transplant patients etc).
- Toxic moulds produce toxins (mycotoxins) which are chemicals that are dangerous to humans because they may result in serious health problems. Any person exposed to these types of moulds may become ill.
We service all parts of Sydney from the upper north shore down to the Sutherland shire and from the eastern suburbs to the Blue Mountains
The Mould and Moisture Assessment will include:
- A thorough inspection of the area in question for visual mould and moisture damage. Our focus is on the imported light fittings as per Phil’s photos and the surrounding environment, both immediate and remote.
- Relative humidity and temperature of the area of inspection.
- Live moisture meter readings of surfaces to confirm building material moisture levels.
- Surface tape lift sampling of surfaces for analysis of mould
- Spore trap samples for airborne mould spores, including control samples
- A full report of findings, including photographs and recommendations
Costs of $1,067 include all travel, mobilisation, associated expenses, sampling, analysis and a report of findings as per the scope above.
JMB do not conduct mould removals however have strong relationships with leading mould removal technicians
Surface tape lift and spore trap samples for airborne mould spores
Simply call 02 8339 0312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Wiping mould off with bleach is effective in the short term but is a band-aid resolution at best depending on the type of material. As mould can attach itself deep in the pores of most material, it will likely come back after some time. Generally speaking, it is difficult to fully clean and dry porous mould and moisture-affected items (sofas,plasterboard etc.) meaning the mould will likely return. Non-porous items can usually be successfully cleaned. If fabrics can be successfully laundered or steam cleaned in good time before irreparable damage and staining have occurred this can still be remediable.
Approximately 2-3 hours for a standard 3 bedroom house
With over 100,000 species of mould in nature, it is important to determine the type as not all mould is harmful to humans. Not all types are bad but the majority do more harm than good. Determining the mould type also helps us find the source as more often than not, mould is hidden in plain sight. Determining the type via air samples can help us locate the culprit.